Saturday, September 1, 2012

Colored Jeans for Men -- how to wear 'em

Supermodel Heidi Klum always says, "in fashion one day you're in, the next day you're out." There's no way you can say something is here to stay or is out the next season, so strike while the iron is hot, try out trends while they're still "trendy."

My very recent "trendy" purchase is a pair of 90 Dirham colored jeans ( well, red-orange chinos to be more specific ) I bought at Splash ( the one in Deira City Centre ). Colored jeans have had their share of more-than-what-I-expected time in the fashion limelight so I decided to give it a try. Now, you see it everywhere and on everyone. Well, not on every straight men =).

Most men ( straight men, of course ) I know, seems to shy away from it for some really valid "masculine" reasons. First, it can look a little "not-so-macho" ( you know what i mean ) especially the ones that are so skinny ( sometimes so skinny you wonder if they are jeans or hosiery ). Secondly, with the advent of the color blocking trend, ,you see colored jeans being paired with even more colors that can be a little overwhelming for the not so fashion forward among us.

But if you know how to wear it and what to wear with it, colored jeans can add a little excitement to an otherwise boring straight male wardrobe of black, white, blue and denim. The ultimate goal of the wearable fashionista blog is to make fashion wearable, accessible and most importantly, sensible so here are my tips on how to wear the "colored jeans" trend :



Here, I wore it with a very neutral white tee to balance the already colorful pants for a more casual strolling day look. I try not to wear any additional colors to this ensemble so it doesn't look busy just cool, casual and effortless. I wore my pink boat shoes ( Sebago Docksides ) since these were the only ones I had during this trip. I think the freshness of white and the splash of color is perfect for spring and summer.

You can also wear this with  a pair of white sneakers and a blue belt for an additional splash of color.



Here, I paired my colored jeans with yet another very neutral white dress shirt, again to keep everything tame because  the colored pants were loud enough for me. You can unfold the sleeves, put on a brown belt and a pair of brown dress shoes and you can transition this outfit into something more formal, a more night time look. Perfect for a summer dinner date or a late night out in the town.

When buying colored jeans, try not to buy the super skinny ones because they can really look too gay for my taste, stick to the more fitted chino cut. Also, spend a little less than usual when buying a trendy item so you wouldn't mind ditching them when they eventually, go out of style. 


It is nice to try and shake things up a bit when it comes to fashion, it is part of our constant reinvention as individuals. We will never know what works and what doesn't unless we try it on. The key is being trendy without losing your personality and your sensibility. I hope this helped some men out there to take calculated risks in their fashion sense.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Derek
    you are looking nice in coloured jeans with white shirt.I also have some coloured jeans, and they looks cool with white.However, they didn't make a great match with other shirts.
    Jeans For Men

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you...
      sorry for the uber late reply.. i thought this account was de-commissioned.

      Delete
  2. Hello buddy!
    You look great in colored jeans. The combination white shirt with colored jeans is too good. I also want purchase this colored khakis men from vintage1946.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh go ahead with you purchase and make sure you show me how you wear it ok?
      thanks.

      Delete